Monday, October 15, 2007

i'm engaged!

Hahaha! Ye. I know. It's 2 weeks before the wedding day and it's kinda late to be announcing our engagement. We'll, J & I have been engaged for almost 3 months already. But the usual engagement ring was not part of it.

To give you a backgrounder, J actually proposed while we were watching a movie. Ratatouille to be exact. Unconventional, I know! It was actually an informal proposal. He just asked me "Kung yayain kitang pakasal ngayon, papayag ka ba?". Wedding plans were part of our discussions before but we both agreed that it will still take a long time before we can actually save up for the wedding we wanted. And so I thought this was just part of the usual conversation. I told him "Akala ko ba mag-iipon muna tyo?". He told me that we should be saving up for it starting now. I said ok and I continued to concentrate on the movie. After around 3 minutes, he asked me again "Di ka ba masaya?". Then I faced him and it suddenly dawned on me that this was his proposal! I was kinda irritated at first because how the heck am I going to tell our grandchildren how their lolo proposed to me. In the moviehouse? I was ecstatic about the idea of us getting married but the proposal didn't excite me at all. That week, we started setting a target year for the wedding. 2009 was the year agreed upon.

A week later, we learned that I was pregnant. I'll write a separate entry for that story.

And so, with the baby on the way, we decided that this year was probably the year God wanted us to tie the knot. He gave us this wonderful blessing and who are we to decline it. Wedding preparations took place and here we are, 2 weeks before we actually walk down that aisle.

Little did I know that J was actually cooking up something. I've already accepted the fact that I won't get the usual proposal (with the kneeling drama and the usual will you marry me line). But today, J gave me my engagement ring! PMA graduates actually have their own version of the engagement ring. It's not the usual diamond ring but a mini version of their class ring.

He was supposed to be going back to Nueva Ecija today after dropping me in Makati for work. But he said that he'll be waiting for Glorietta to open to buy some stuffs. I myself was busy in the office that I didn't get to check on his whereabouts this morning. He texted me an hour before 12 pm asking me if I already have plans for lunch. I grabbed to opportunity to have lunch with him today before he goes to Nueva Ecija. I was even insisting that we eat somewhere near my office but he wanted to have lunch in Greenbelt. And it was unusual that he actually has a preferred place for lunch.

On my way to Landmark to meet him, I suddenly craved for Smoked Spareribs from French Baker. When I told him that I wanted to eat there, he sounded kinda disappointed but gave in to my request anyway. While we were having lunch, I noticed he was a bit jittery. He didn't have the appetite for lunch since he still full from breakfast. And I thought he was having stomach pains again. He was actually waiting for me to finish. And it was also unusual of him to be asking me if I'm already done with my food. During the last part of my meal, he was already holding my left hand and this was not unusual so I was still clueless at that time. When suddenly, he slipped the ring on my finger and I was really really surprised. I could have cried but there were too many people so I tried to stop my tears. The whole morning that I thought he was in Glorietta, he actually went to Manila to get the mini ring that he ordered since last month! =)

Afterwards, he told me about his initial plans on how to give me the ring. He wanted to eat in greenbelt so we can find a place where they serve ice cream and he'll put the ring on the ice cream. Haha! Not really unusual type of gimik but I find it really sweet! So when I told him I wanted to eat in French Baker he tried to find another way. We ordered soup at that time and guess what? Yep! He initially planned on putting the ring on the soup. He actually did but half way through our meal, he figured I won't be able to finish the soup anymore since I'm already somewhat full with my rice meal. So he discreetly scooped the ring out of the soup and sneaked in the bathroom to wash it. That's when he decided that he'll just slip it on my finger.

So there. I think I just gave you a blow by blow account of what transpired today. Haha! Pagpasenshahan na. I still can't get this smile off my face. Even with the tons of work waiting for me here in the office, I don't really mind now. I'm just in cloud 9! =)

5 comments:

jishinka said...

yihee!
my friend is engaged. and two weeks to go, she'll be married. isn't that sooo sweet.
am really happy for the two of you.

love. love.

mommy kiel said...

hahaha :)

pagpasenshahan mo na ang mga bugo-bugo, mejo me kabaduyan :p

arnie actually did the same thing, during the ringhop, one week before we got married (at least ikaw two weeks before, hehe), he grabbed my hand, and just slipped the ring.

kala ko nga di niya ko bibigyan ng mini-ring kasi yung mini-ring ng mommy niya nauna pa niyang ibigay ke mommy, nung silent drill, the day before pa, kala ko nakalimutan na niya kong bilhan nung ring ko :)

congratulations :)

berna said...

faith: love is in the air? hahaha! i'm excited. la lang. it's finally sinking in!

kiel: kala ko ako na ang pinaka-late na nakakarcv ng engagement ring. kaw pala ang record holder! hehe.. =) kala ko rin wala na kong mini ring e. kasi nasa mom din nya ung mini ring na binigay nya nung ring hop. =)

pare parehas ng style tong mga sundalong to.. baduy nga! pero kahit anong way pala ibigay ang engagement ring na yan, nakakakilig pa rin talaga! =) shux.. masyado na kong nagdadalaga dito! haha..

oist see you and sir arnie and gael on our wedding day a! =)

jishinka said...

yup... love is so in the air. Hay.ü remember, yvaine in stardust? if you started glowing (and shining) just let it be. Don't listen to Capt. Shakespeare, let it show.ü

i so love that movie.hahaha! hopeless romantic.

berna said...

i do hope i'll have yvaine's glow on my wedding day! =)

shux. parehas tyo. super love ko din ung movie na un! its actually the best of both worlds. love story tas comedy! san ka pa diba? =) aliw!